Patients Know Best (PKB), the world’s first patient-controlled medical record is partnering with EMIS Health, the UK leader in connected healthcare software, to enable two-way record sharing.
PKB provides patients with information from any source – such as secondary care, mental health services as well as GP – and will seamlessly integrate with EMIS Web – the clinical system used by 55% of the UK’s GP surgeries.
EMIS Web holds 40 million patient records – and the partnership will enable patient data to securely flow between the two systems.
The project will be rolled out first to patients at the Symphony Complex Care Hub in South Somerset – an initiative designed to better support people living with complex health conditions and one of NHS England’s 29 vanguard sites testing new models of care across the UK.
Dr Mohammad Al-Ubaydli, CEO and founder of Patients Know Best said:
“When a GP knows exactly how other medical and social care professionals are treating their patient and vice-versa – the patient wins. Our partnership with EMIS Health marks a major step forward in our mission to give patients control of their medical records and improve their care. For the first time, GPs will be able to quickly and easily see patient data from a number of different sources whilst the patient will be able to share information written about them by their GP with other specialist teams such as community or mental health.”
Daniel Vincent, managing partner at Ryalls Park Medical Centre, a participating practice of The Symphony Vanguard Programme said:
“When a patient owns their care plan, they feel more responsible for it as it’s their plan rather than one imposed upon them and that has a big impact on their lifestyle, behaviour – health and wellbeing. This project could have major benefits to us as a practice in terms of improving the care we provide and dramatically reducing the high levels of administration we currently undertake for complex patients. We see the partnership between PKB and EMIS Health to be a significant step on the journey towards system integration within health and social care. We’re delighted that our patients can be part of the initial roll out.”
An independent GP practice and a participating member of the Symphony Care Vanguard Programme, Ryalls Park Medical Centre initially plans to roll out the new integrated system to around 1000 patients – starting with diabetes, asthma and COPD patients.
Matt Murphy, managing director of primary and community care, commissioning and patient services at EMIS Health said:
“Our vision is to support longer and healthier lives for everyone by providing integrated, excellent and innovative healthcare IT for patients and those involved in their care. Our partnership with Patients Know Best will enable patients using their system to share vital information from their cradle to grave GP record, held in EMIS Web. This is another tool in the patient’s tech kit that will help them to take more responsibility for their own health and wellbeing.”
Notes to editors:
About Patients Know Best
Patients Know Best is the world’s first fully patient-controlled online medical records system and a multi-award winning tool to help patients better manage their care. Patients Know Best is fully secure and enables patients to better organise, manage and control their own health care provision – it also saves the time of physicians through allowing secure, online consultations. Patients Know Best’s first customers include Great Ormond Street Hospital, St Mark’s Hospital and NHS South Devon. Patients Know Best integrates fully into the NHS N3 secure network and is available for use by any patient with any clinician anywhere in the world. It is now used by over 60 hospitals across seven countries and complies fully with UK NHS information governance requirements as well as the EU Data Protection Act and US HIPAA legislation for dealing with medical data.www.patientsknowbest.com
· February 2016: Axa PPP Health Tech & You Overall Category Winner – Champion Award.
· October 2015: E-Health Insider Award, ‘Best Use of Technology to Share Information with Patients and Carers’.
· September 2015: Awarded a ‘founding member’ of BCorporation.
· June 2015: One of 17 companies chosen for NHS England’s Digital Health Accelerator Programme.
· May 2015: Received ‘Champion’ award at the eHealth Competition, a Europe-wide, European Commission-backed prize.
About EMIS Health
EMIS Health is part of EMIS Group plc – the UK leader in connected healthcare software and services.www.emishealth.com
· EMIS Health provides software and services to clinicians working across every major UK healthcare setting, including:
· Primary Care – market leader with 55% share of the UK GP market; its systems hold 40 million cradle to grave patient records;
· Child Community and Mental Health Care – 12% UK market share;
· Secondary Care – 81% of NHS Acute Trusts use an EMIS Health system; its software holds 30 million patient records in A&E alone;
· Community Pharmacy – the single most used integrated community pharmacy and retail system
· Specialist Care – EMIS Health is the leading provider of software and services to support diabetic eye screening (79% English market share) and other ophthalmology and specialist services.
EMIS Health is an innovator in secure data-sharing to join up healthcare. It was the first in the UK to enable community pharmacists to access information from the GP patient record – supporting safer dispensing – and the first to integrate personal health data captured on wearable consumer devices with the GP patient record.
Other businesses within EMIS Group are:
· Patient – the UK’s leading provider of patient-centric medical and well-being information and related transactional services; www.patient.info attracts 13 million unique visitors a month.
· Egton – providing specialist ICT infrastructure, software, hardware and engineering services.EMIS Care – the new name for EMIS Group’s most recent acquisition, Medical Imaging, a specialist provider of grading and assessment services to support diabetic eye screening.